Essential Applications: Subsea VIV Suppression Strakes
October 09. 2020 | Essential Applications
Zeron® 100 Reduces Cost and Weight for Subsea Companies Securing VIV Strakes on Subsea Cables and Tubulars
Stainless Steel Bands and Seals are used to secure the two halves of the cylindrical VIV Suppression Strakes around the tubulars as they are being introduced to the sea. The strakes are critical to disrupt the VIV (Vortex-Induced Vibration) of the sea’s current across the tubulars and increase their life span. If the bands failed, this would cause complex repairs and potential costly damage to the tubulars.
The Oil and Gas Industry has historically used Alloy 625 Stainless Steel band to apply VIV Strakes to subsea tubulars. Now BAND-IT, in connection with our partners, has developed Zeron 100, a SuperDuplex Stainless Steel offering the same life cycle of Alloy 625 at a reduced cost and since Zeron100 is higher strength, we are able to get the same results with a 25-30% thinner gauge saving weight during transportation and install.
The BAND-IT Edge
• Zeron 100 is higher strength than Alloy 625
• Stronger & Lighter material giving reduced project & transportation costs
• Equivalent corrosion resistance to Alloy 625
• Available in Pre-Formed BAND-FAST™
• Available in 3/4” (19mm) & 1.25” (32mm) widths
• Pneumatic & Manual Application Tool